Not Exaggerating!
I have got to purge my memory of this, and I apologize in advance. I know I've mentioned before, just in passing, (oh shoot! I still haven't posted a picture of the finished bathroom!) but our neighborhood has a serious sewer roach problem. I promise it has nothing to do with sanitation, or lack thereof, I think it's just old sewers. They come out at night and roam our lawns and driveways and patios, waving their creepy antennae at whatever they come across. It's been a constant source of stress for me, since they make me want to puke, but we've learned how to keep them at bay for the most part. You know the saying "where there's one, there's a hundred you don't see"?
Yup.
So tonight, I was talking to John, straightening up, and kind of absentmindedly carried the trash out to the garbage can. As I got near to the can, I saw what looked like a small bird moving rather quickly away. As I stooped down to see what was wrong with it, it flew up towards my head and right on by. It made a kind of fluttering sound. Confused (and seriously thinking..."hmmm, black humming bird, small bat, the biggest moth in history?") I followed it to where it perched on the fence, and screamed (poor John) as it's wings settled back in and it resumed the shape of THE BIGGEST ROACH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! That thing's body was at least 4 inches long. Seriously I am shaking just thinking about it. We'll call him Grandpa Roach for now, since he must have been, like 60 years old. Or another breed, I'm not sure. Anyway, I very calmly told Grace to go get the bug spray (Emerson has his own nemesis btw, and he was screaming at this point. Apparently he didn't know they can fly either) and tried to explain to John why everyone but Grace was yelling. It kind of turned around on the fence, and I swear to all of you, no exaggerations, the thing looked at me, and then flew away. Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Mothman Prophecies"? Well apparently Chandler has a roachman. Or a Grandpa roach. Whatever, I may have to stay indoors after sundown, that thing was disgusting.
Ok, deep breath, I'm going to bed.
Yup.
So tonight, I was talking to John, straightening up, and kind of absentmindedly carried the trash out to the garbage can. As I got near to the can, I saw what looked like a small bird moving rather quickly away. As I stooped down to see what was wrong with it, it flew up towards my head and right on by. It made a kind of fluttering sound. Confused (and seriously thinking..."hmmm, black humming bird, small bat, the biggest moth in history?") I followed it to where it perched on the fence, and screamed (poor John) as it's wings settled back in and it resumed the shape of THE BIGGEST ROACH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! That thing's body was at least 4 inches long. Seriously I am shaking just thinking about it. We'll call him Grandpa Roach for now, since he must have been, like 60 years old. Or another breed, I'm not sure. Anyway, I very calmly told Grace to go get the bug spray (Emerson has his own nemesis btw, and he was screaming at this point. Apparently he didn't know they can fly either) and tried to explain to John why everyone but Grace was yelling. It kind of turned around on the fence, and I swear to all of you, no exaggerations, the thing looked at me, and then flew away. Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Mothman Prophecies"? Well apparently Chandler has a roachman. Or a Grandpa roach. Whatever, I may have to stay indoors after sundown, that thing was disgusting.
Ok, deep breath, I'm going to bed.

Comments
Last note (sorry this is a novel) I have a friend who also lives in Chandler and she says she has a problem every time the city sprays the man holes with some kind of pesticide. I guess it always makes the sewer roaches come up through people's drains. I wonder if that's part of the problem?
Hang in there!