Ode to the First Trimester

As I approach the end of my first trimester, I feel it only polite to formally bid it farewell. I feel as though I'm emerging from a sickening fog, in which there was no cognizance of a better day, only the hammering of day after day involving only the couch and the toilet. If your little nugget has ever made you sick, then you know exactly what I mean. I'd rather not linger there too long.

Before I begin my farewell, I feel it necessary to point out the wonderful unpredictability of pregnancy. How is it that 4 different pregnancies could be so different? With such a range of different cravings, emotions, and complaints? And yet, miraculously, so wonderful. Like each of my children, each pregnancy has it's own personality, and I am always off base when I try to imagine what the little personality growing within will be like.

So, since for two days in a row, I have felt a little stronger, I am now declaring the worst of it over. I did the dishes. I didn't throw up my water. It must be dissipating, right?

Farewell cursed first trimester!

Goodbye to light and sound sensitivity.

Farewell to the 8 lbs, that I had tried in vain to lose before getting pregnant. ( They'll return soon, I'm sure.)

Farewell to cravings for egg drop soup and plain old lettuce by the handful. Delicious.

Goodbye to cursing my own stomach for it's lack of ability to stop heaving. (Hello blessed Zofran, I LOVE you!)

Goodbye to my favorite jeans, I'm sure I won't be able to wear you much longer.

Farewell to the overly emotional, had to wipe away tears while watching Ratatouille, hormonally imbalanced wreck of a mommy. How embarrassing.

And finally, hello to the little flutter (I haven't felt it yet, but will very soon, I'm sure), the first reminder, usually very late at night, that says "I'm here, I'm still alive, and I am very real!" (As if the throwing up wasn't clue enough.)

Comments

Katie said…
I'm so glad the happier side of pregnancy is in sight! I'm very much excited for you guys! Keep feeling better, please!
Rhonda said…
I'm so glad you are on the upswing! I can't imagine having a first trimester like that!
Sue said…
Glad you are feeling more like yourself again! :)
Jen Olson Brown said…
Annie- how do you do it? So effortlessly seeming- you capture the essence of a phenomenon. Thank you Mrs. Motherhood Seinfeld!
Sue said…
Hope you're feeling O.K.!