All through high school I always swore to myself I would marry a tenor. I just love tenor lines, they are always so integral to a good choir. I felt it important ('Kay, maybe not necessary) to marry someone who played the piano really well too, or at least who loved music the way I do. I guess I just wanted someone to be able to sing cheesy duets, and maybe share my obsession for Chopin with.

Those few moments after I met John, I knew that would never matter again. My feelings for him far eclipsed hopes for a musical soul mate. I tried a few times to teach him to match pitch, played Rachmaninov for him, even tried to teach him to play the piano. (Just as a sidenote, he can match pitch while singing falsetto... but that's it! Everywhere else on the scale he's about 2-3 notes off. Go figure. It's OK, he knows it's weird.) I'm sure he would learn if it was really important, but it's not.

So life goes on. He stays home while I go to choir. He pretends to understand when I try to talk about music. It's all good. My dreams of being like this cute couple were gone with his hunting rifle.



So sweet, right? John says when we're old and visiting each other at the Mayo clinic, maybe we can play a heart and soul duet in the lobby.

Comments

Laurel said…
That is as cute as can be. I love how he stops to make sure she is ok when she trips. Heart and soul is good too. The way John looks at you, I can understand why nothing else matters.
Unknown said…
to answer your question annie, no we still need to move. We still won't be able to make rent. :(
Anonymous said…
That is so cute. You know, I have always wanted to be in a acapella group, lets start one!
Jen Olson Brown said…
Annie- You are such an incredible writer. Not too whoopsy, or flamboyant, but true. You say in 10 words what it would take me 30. Brevity is the soul of whit"- Shakespeare. So even if you don't have a singing partner, perhaps your talent in writing can partner your talent in song.
Such a cute video. I liked the interview with them as well. Thanks for sharing.