The Saturday Morning Club part I

I think Rhonda and I should start a Saturday morning club. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. Basically it involves waking up before the sun on Saturday morning to go do something that we really don't want to do that early, it just sounded good at the time.
Last Saturday we took on the Grand Canyon, and it being my first time seeing it,I was doubly taken aback, by both it's magnificence, and it's ability to kick my derriere.
We went with some friends from the ward, Florence and Pres. Hatch, Carol Gould, and Florence's brother and daughter. These people are AMAZING. This is a very frequent trip for them, so it seemed like nothing. In fact, I had wondered why the Hatch's license plate had "RM2RM2RM" on it, thinking it must be an inside joke of some kind, but no. We're talking "rim to rim to rim". I've already forgotten how many miles that is, but they do it in less than 20 hours. No rest, they just reach the top and turn around and go back. Like I say, insane.
Anyway, so Rhonda and I had the best tour guide/cheerleaders in the valley. We started a little after 8am, and it was freezing! You can see the snow and fog in the backround.
There are no words to describe the beauty of the canyon. I had only seen pictures of it being brown, but it was green this time of year, with the trees and bushes blooming their bright spring colors. I didn't bring my camera, it's kind of big, but I think it would have been a waste anyway. You just can't take a picture of the depth and...... struggling with words here,... there are no words. You just have to go.

Anyway, we got to the bottom and crossed the river and ate lunch, stripping layers as we went. The weather at the bottom was sunny and clear until it started pouring rain. Back on with the jacket!

We took the Kaibab trail back up, which Rhonda so articulately described as "The StairMaster from Hell". (Rhonda, you were only saying what I was thinking.) It was over 7 miles of stairs. The details are already mercifully fading, but I remember thinking:
A) "This small river of freezing rain water running down the trail is making things a lot more difficult."
B)(Dodging Mule excrement- I didn't know you could rent a mule to carry your stuff down for you.) "This gives new meaning to "Beasts of Burden"."
C)"John would be so embarrassed if they had to call in a helicopter"

We got to the snowy top at around 3:30, and we were cold, wet, exhausted, and I was starving, but otherwise elated. Rhonda took a picture of this sign, which I find amusing... (You'll probably have to click on it to read it)
Love the dramatic "people die"stuff. So we did it! Rim to rim, 7 hours. Can't wait to do it again.

Ugh! I talk too much! I'll post about the Pat Tillman Race later.

Comments

Jen Olson Brown said…
Wow! Impressive work girl! And I was thinking I was so great to run/walk 4.2 miles in perfect weather! You inspire me and I'd love to come next time!
Anonymous said…
I want to join the club!! I am so proud of you girls. Its hard enough without having to be rained on, cold and wet. That is insane! And you don't talk/write too much. We want more!
Rhonda said…
I think the club sounds like a great idea! I'm sure we can think of lots of crazy things to do. There's Havasupai, Pike's Peak, Mt. Everest. We have lots of things we can climb!
Awesome job! You should be filled with pride.
Laurel said…
I always knew you were amazing and I was jealous...you just reinforced that fact. I'll join the club too if your taking new members. I am proud of all four of you. Did you know that Florence has had both of her knees operated on and still never gives in to a momen'ts doubt? Wow!