Emerson and the Wooden Spoon
John's been working overnight in Sedona a lot lately, and I thought it might be fun for everyone if we went up to visit him, and stay with him in the condo they have. Unfortunately the power got turned off, so John made arrangements for us to stay in the Hyatt where he was working. It was beautiful! I don't think we've ever stayed in anything so luxurious. I should have known that things were going too smoothly. We ate dinner, got everyone bathed, and then in bed by 9pm. Even Porter was asleep in the Pack N'Play. We thought everyone was out, when we started hearing doors open and shut in the room where Emerson was. Then lights started flicking on and off. Anyone who knows Emerson knows this is cause for alarm, and John and I may, or may not have been in the giant whirlpool tub when that mental alarm should have set in. Regardless, response time was a little slow, and what I found was enough to cause any parent's heart to drop. Emerson had found the ONLY wooden spoon in the kitchen and was standing in front of the fireplace holding the burning utensil, with a look on his face I rarely see... He actually looked concerned. Apparently he had stuck the spoon in the pilot light. Upon finding the spoon on fire, he tried to put the fire out in the mattress where the kids were sleeping. Grace, blissfully unaware that her life had been in danger, slept a few feet away. There were giant spoon-sized holes scattered over a small area at the foot of the mattress owing to a few glowing pieces of charcoal melting their way into the padding. All I can say is thank goodness for flame retardant mattresses. Nothing too serious happened, though we were a little shaken up. We're also pretty grateful the fire alarm didn't go off. That could have been really embarrassing. Needless to say, we've had a few discussions about fire safety lately around here.
Here's a few pictures of the kids taken while we were there.
Here's a few pictures of the kids taken while we were there.


Comments
I'm so glad you were able to stay at the Hyatt! I love their hotels! Hopefully one day you and John will be able to get away alone!