Summer Vacation

I've been promising myself for weeks that I would post about our little mini trip to San Diego. But let's just talk for a minute about where our computer is in our house.

Towards the back, there's an addition that was added in the 70s. It has french doors, that while double paned, have horrible insulation. Two tall windows sit on either side, both of which have been broken and replaced (One by Emerson's head, one by Porter's crazy man-baby strength). Adjacent to it is a laundry room, which houses a water heater, large freezer, and the washer and dryer, of course, all of which combine forces to create a very sauna-esque climate. Doing laundry is a nightmare. The ancient door containing this drastic temperature change sits about an inch off the ground, so between the constant flow of air from the catch-all utility room and the heat radiating from the horribly insulated windows, this room maintains an average temperature of what we guess to be about 85 degrees.

John, my hero, my wonderful, handy, sweetheart of a husband, perhaps remembering the last time I was pregnant through the summer,(the whining, and even some shameless crying) installed another air conditioning unit for me in one of those side windows for mother's day this year. And it works wonderfully, but I have to say, I'm a little concerned for it on the really hot days. It's on ALL DAY LONG. It even starts to smell funny right before I go to bed. Don't worry, I always turn it off and give it a break.

Heaven help us if that thing goes out.

So... the computer. Oh yeah. Right next to the window. We had a small fan here for computer use, but it didn't survive very long, so in between sentences, I am fanning myself with a grocery flyer.

And then there's the fact that sitting in a computer chair, 8 months pregnant isn't ideal either. If
I could type and lay down, in a cooler part of the house, this would be nothing.

I guess I just feel the need to explain why I've been so absent from blogging lately. Well, honestly, the blog, email, facebook, even my pictures since they usually require editing. I'm going to have a lot to do when things cool down, I guess. I'll put pictures of San Diego up later. It's too hot.

Comments

Brenden+Nikki said…
I think that sounds like a good excuse. Yes, I remember what it is like being 8 months pregnant this time of year. I remember sitting in front of a fan in my underwear on the bare linoleum floor eating an unmentionable number of otter pops.

So yes. I forgive you for your lack of blogging.
Katie said…
You need a laptop. Amen.

I hope you're keeping cool!
Sue said…
Good for John on a great Mother's day gift! I don't do well in heat, and can't imagine being pregnant in that heat with three little ones to care for?!?! Hang in there, Annie!
Monica said…
Oh man, you're such a great writer, Annie. I love reading your blog. I hope you've been able to get the rest you deserve while enduring the heat down there. Hey, I'm planning on being down in Mesa next month so I'll be sure to give you and John a call and see if I can drop by...I know next month will be a super busy one for you and the fam though. Anyway, can't wait for your next post. Oh and one more thing, your comment about Porter's "crazy man-baby strength" is cracking me up so hard. Hilarious!