Book Help

I need help. I'm getting tired of reality TV, and am staring accusingly at Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls again. Why can't I get through it? John says it's great. I love Mr. Hemingway, I just can't seem to get past the mountains.

I think I am the pickiest reader I've ever met. I don't like fantasy. I shy away from non-fiction because that would mean I would have to learn and remember something. Since I'm pregnant, and therefore a little hormonally imbalanced, I tend to react a little too strongly to books relating to tragedy involving children, war, or ill fated romance, although that hasn't kept me from reading any of it. I realize what I need to do is re read the Twilight series, although it leaves me feeling as though I've just engorged myself on a huge piece of cake made from a box, topped with canned frosting. (Again, that's the pregnancy talking. Since when do I care what caliber of food my sugar comes in?)

And here is the biggest problem as of late. I love modern literature. I just got done reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and loved it. There are some pretty dang good writers out there, but it's kind of a gamble trying to find books that aren't filled with gratuitous sex, language, blah blah blah. I live in a bubble. I admit that. But sometimes it seems like authors are throwing stuff in there just for shock value. Do people really talk like that? I don't mind references here and there, but when I'm having to skip pages and pages I wonder how much I'm actually getting out of it.

So what I'm wondering is...
If you read, what books do you recommend, and why? Any classics you recommend? Or just anything that made you think lately. I'm desperate folks. Please save me from the new season of The Bachelorette. I'm ashamed to admit I'm tempted.

Comments

I just read Hunger Games and it's sequel Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. They are young adult books so they're clean and easy to read. I thought they were great. There is death though so your pregnant hormones might make it more intense for you. Good luck!
Anonymous said…
The Graceling, Hunger games, The Great and Terrible Series, these have all been good, but like your friend said if you are feeling sensitive with certain things right now, none of those may be a good fit right now. You should listen to Harry POtter on cd. The narrators voice is awesome and they are so fun to just lay in bed or on the couch and let someone else read to you!
Jill & Jared said…
anything by Shannon Hale is great. There's The Goose Girl, Enna Burning, River Secrets, and Forest Born, then she also has The Princess Diaries and The Actor and the Housewife. I love all her books. Though I must warn you about the last one. The last 100 pages or so are rough. I know you have already read Hunger Games because you borrowed it from me! ;-) Have you read The Immortal Instruments series? I can't remember if I let you borrow those. They are by Cassandra Clare: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass. The Book Thief is interesting too by Markus Zusak. That's all I've got for now! Happy reading!
Laurel said…
I also LOVE Shannon Hale. She writes fantasy, but Cinderella kind of fantasy not Token kind of fantasy. She also wrote Austinland which is a cute romance without smut. If you haven't read it yet, the Guernsey Literary and Sweet Potato Pie Society is wonderful. It is about WW2 but the only war book I have ever actually enjoyed (not just learned from or experienced) I have a great non- fiction on CD if you want something that is too dry to read on paper but fabulous on CD it is called Three Cups of Tea. I just finished all of the Harry Potters, I was slow on that band wagon. The Lightning Thief series is also a fantasy (mythology) based series, but I really enjoyed them. Another series that is not a true series is the Tillerman Cycle including Dicy's Song and anything by Haddix that I have read has been good. Check Jen's blog and Nikki Saline they always have something good to read. I also loved Les Miserables and a Tale of Two Cities, but you have to be able to pay attention and that is tough with all of your little people about. I also like Richard Paul Evens and the author of The Notebook (who's name I cannot come up with right now) for non smutty romance and good story lines. I have also read through the Twilight series 3or4 times just because I couldn't find something I wanted and I know that I like that. It doesn't get any better, but you pick up on things that you didn't before. Happy Reading! you could just read my comments, that is nearly a novel.
Brenden+Nikki said…
Ha thanks for the shout out Laurel! That makes me feel good that you like my taste. Funny enough Annie I was going to recommed the Guernesy one too that Laurel recommended. I personally haven't read it yet but have had a TON of people recommend it. Also if you're in for a long read I read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle last year and really liked it. Nothing crazy. It was more of a coming of age novel about a young boy. I love coming of age novels. I can recommend a ton but it depends on what you're looking for. A good story? Good literary flow? Because if you want to relish words and writing my FAV book is Brown Girl, Brown Stones by Paule Marshall. She writes beautifully. But I haven't read that since college so there may be some rough parts because that too is a coming of age novel about a girl from Barbados. Hmmm....I'm trying to think of other suggestions. My friend sent me a list of 1000 must read classics. I could totally send it to ya if you want for some ideas. Just let me know. I don't know if you are looking exclusively for fiction, but I'm reading The Miracle of Forgiveness right now by President Kimball and LOVE it! (Am I weird?) One of the best non-fiction church books I've ever read. It's teaching me so much!!
Brenden+Nikki said…
P.S. Nicholas Sparks wrote The Notebook and he does have some other good books.
Annie said…
Thanks everyone! You all are great! I have a pretty good list to work from. Thank you!