Leaving San Diego
I have a tiny crush on Anthony Bourdain. It's OK, John knows. Actually he thinks if he was a girl, he would too. "No Reservations" is one of our favorite shows on TV, and if you've never seen it, I highly recommend it. He's a chef, but travels all over the world trying and writing about all different kinds of food. He usually has someone native to the country traveling with him, finding good places to eat, and cool things to see. It's raw, and a little gritty at times. The camera work is genius. The beauty of each country is put to film in a way that is non-commercial, and original. Anthony's love of food and people comes through in a way that is so genuine, it's hard to feel like he's not in the room with you. I could write an entire blog on this, but I'm supposed to be talking about San Diego...
This past weekend, John and I took kind of a last minute trip to San Diego...without the kids. (Thanks again to Karen, Allison, and my parents for being willing to help with that!) It was the first time we had been alone overnight since Grace was born.
I thought I would feel weird. I thought I would miss the kids. I thought I would want to come home. I didn't.
We left Friday morning, and got there around three in the afternoon. We checked into our hotel, and then left, me determined to enjoy San Diego like Mr. Bourdain would. We didn't have a tour guide, but we had done a little research before we left, so we had a list of things we wanted to do and see.
We saw Historical downtown where we toured some of the original homes in the area including the Wheeley House, which has been reported to be Haunted. (No orbs in my pictures, darn it.) We ate at Freds (soooo good), and shopped the little souvenir shops. We went through the little Old West town there, and saw the old schoolhouse, jail, Dentist office, and an old church.
We walked around the "Gas Lamp District" shopping and sharing the best Hot Fudge Sundae we had ever had at Ghiradelli. We went over to Hudson Bay, and had Clam Chowder and Fish N'Chips while watching the fisherman carry their catch back after the sun had set and the clouds had thickened.
It seemed like a non-stop and yet blissfully easy going weekend, but I have to say my favorite thing was the beach. The first night we were there, we headed over to Coronado Island and walked down to the shore just to be there. The sounds of the beach will always remind me of my childhood. It was almost like a part of me that hadn't inhaled in a long time was able to get oxygen again. We just sat there and breathed for a while.
It was amazing just to be there. To see flowers that can barely survive in Arizona greenhouses, flourishing in gardens. To feel a breeze, and not have it feel like it's melting my mascara off. To be amongst the myriads of cultures of people, and still feel apart of it. I loved getting to spend some one-on-one time with my best friend, no interrupted conversations, no whining, and the best two nights of sleep we've had in years.
I'm sure Anthony wouldn't approve. We visited mostly touristy places, and did the usual things. We were only 6 hours from home! But to us, it was the world away. Just to be able to look to the West and see water, and to hear the Sea Gulls and the crashing of waves...
To see old buildings and wonder about past inhabitants...
To eat fresh fish while smelling the ocean...
To see green everywhere...
It was incredible.
Click here for pictures. (Couldn't get the HTML to work to post it here.)
This past weekend, John and I took kind of a last minute trip to San Diego...without the kids. (Thanks again to Karen, Allison, and my parents for being willing to help with that!) It was the first time we had been alone overnight since Grace was born.
I thought I would feel weird. I thought I would miss the kids. I thought I would want to come home. I didn't.
We left Friday morning, and got there around three in the afternoon. We checked into our hotel, and then left, me determined to enjoy San Diego like Mr. Bourdain would. We didn't have a tour guide, but we had done a little research before we left, so we had a list of things we wanted to do and see.
We saw Historical downtown where we toured some of the original homes in the area including the Wheeley House, which has been reported to be Haunted. (No orbs in my pictures, darn it.) We ate at Freds (soooo good), and shopped the little souvenir shops. We went through the little Old West town there, and saw the old schoolhouse, jail, Dentist office, and an old church.
We walked around the "Gas Lamp District" shopping and sharing the best Hot Fudge Sundae we had ever had at Ghiradelli. We went over to Hudson Bay, and had Clam Chowder and Fish N'Chips while watching the fisherman carry their catch back after the sun had set and the clouds had thickened.
It seemed like a non-stop and yet blissfully easy going weekend, but I have to say my favorite thing was the beach. The first night we were there, we headed over to Coronado Island and walked down to the shore just to be there. The sounds of the beach will always remind me of my childhood. It was almost like a part of me that hadn't inhaled in a long time was able to get oxygen again. We just sat there and breathed for a while.
It was amazing just to be there. To see flowers that can barely survive in Arizona greenhouses, flourishing in gardens. To feel a breeze, and not have it feel like it's melting my mascara off. To be amongst the myriads of cultures of people, and still feel apart of it. I loved getting to spend some one-on-one time with my best friend, no interrupted conversations, no whining, and the best two nights of sleep we've had in years.
I'm sure Anthony wouldn't approve. We visited mostly touristy places, and did the usual things. We were only 6 hours from home! But to us, it was the world away. Just to be able to look to the West and see water, and to hear the Sea Gulls and the crashing of waves...
To see old buildings and wonder about past inhabitants...
To eat fresh fish while smelling the ocean...
To see green everywhere...
It was incredible.
Click here for pictures. (Couldn't get the HTML to work to post it here.)

Comments