Growing Pains
On the morning of Grace's first day of Kindergarten, she got herself up, got dressed and even brushed her hair. Then she tried to wake me up. I was awake already. I had been awake. I had been contemplating the inevitable. The day she was so excited for had finally arrived, and the day I had been dreading couldn't progress slow enough.
A few weeks earlier, John and I had sat watching the kids playing while eating our lunch. We were discussing the fact that we needed to teach Grace a few things before school started... tying her shoes, opening her own juice box, etc. Up until that point, Kindergarten had been an abstract point in time, just a milestone that would eventually be apart of our lives. In my mind, Grace still had chubby arms and cheeks that even strangers had to touch.

I looked over at her playing with Emerson, tall and thin, and a little matronly in her demeanor ( more like commands) with her brother. She looked so much older, or maybe I just saw her.
And then it started. The tears, I mean.
Luckily I have friends who have first children who started Kindergarten on the same day. We discussed it in the weeks leading up to that first day, and then got together after we dropped them off to commiserate. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
She has done really well with her new surroundings. She loves school, and has lots of friends. She even loves her homework, which I'm optimistic will last for a little while anyway. That first day, she didn't even flinch when they had to line up to leave. (Ouch!) She scooped up her backpack, and waved to us after getting one last kiss. I noticed in that unfamiliar surrounding that her cheeks are still pretty round. It still feels wonderful to kiss them.
Over the past few weeks, we've all adapted surprisingly well. Our new routine is a little more exhausting, but I feel like so much more has been accomplished. I even registered Emerson for preschool. This is kind of nice!
But there are still moments when I'm glad I wore sunglasses. Like this morning, we walked her to the gate, and then said goodbye there. (A little further from the playground every day until we can drop her off in the parking lot!) I stood there watching to make sure she walked all 50 feet safely. Her Hello Kitty backpack, which is about half her height, bounced up and down as she ran, trying to keep from dropping her lunch. She looked so little again. It was kind of hard to turn around and walk away.
A few weeks earlier, John and I had sat watching the kids playing while eating our lunch. We were discussing the fact that we needed to teach Grace a few things before school started... tying her shoes, opening her own juice box, etc. Up until that point, Kindergarten had been an abstract point in time, just a milestone that would eventually be apart of our lives. In my mind, Grace still had chubby arms and cheeks that even strangers had to touch.

I looked over at her playing with Emerson, tall and thin, and a little matronly in her demeanor ( more like commands) with her brother. She looked so much older, or maybe I just saw her.
And then it started. The tears, I mean.
Luckily I have friends who have first children who started Kindergarten on the same day. We discussed it in the weeks leading up to that first day, and then got together after we dropped them off to commiserate. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
She has done really well with her new surroundings. She loves school, and has lots of friends. She even loves her homework, which I'm optimistic will last for a little while anyway. That first day, she didn't even flinch when they had to line up to leave. (Ouch!) She scooped up her backpack, and waved to us after getting one last kiss. I noticed in that unfamiliar surrounding that her cheeks are still pretty round. It still feels wonderful to kiss them.
Over the past few weeks, we've all adapted surprisingly well. Our new routine is a little more exhausting, but I feel like so much more has been accomplished. I even registered Emerson for preschool. This is kind of nice!
But there are still moments when I'm glad I wore sunglasses. Like this morning, we walked her to the gate, and then said goodbye there. (A little further from the playground every day until we can drop her off in the parking lot!) I stood there watching to make sure she walked all 50 feet safely. Her Hello Kitty backpack, which is about half her height, bounced up and down as she ran, trying to keep from dropping her lunch. She looked so little again. It was kind of hard to turn around and walk away.

Comments
P.S. I'm glad to see your posts are back - was that just my problem?? Anyway, I've caught up and love it.
It seems just like yesterday when she would knock on my door in her jammies with crazy hair and say, "Hi Bubs."
Can I call you for support in 5 years? (like I emailed you for support when I was pregnant and needed reassurance that I wasn't losing my mind?) By then you'll be an expert. I ask this because the other day I had to hold back tears because my wandering mind got the best of me and I got to thinking about "what if" another little kid is meanto Collin at school? (Yes he's only 2 weeks old....don't moms worry like this though?)
Anyway- you're an amazing mom and I've enjoyed watching you mother your babies. You're a great example to me! And that is why Grace is so strong and ready to start school without any fears! That's awesome!
Also, it was so fun to see you guys last month!! All 3 of your kiddos are just sooo cute!