Nature vs. Nurture

I loved studying the old "Nature vs. Nurture" theories in Early Childhood Development. Having younger brothers and sisters while I was in college, made it especially interesting since I was able to relate those ideas to children I was actually familiar with. John and I still have discussions about this often, as we observe the traits that our children have inherited from us, and wondered where some of them come from. The other night as I checked on the kids before going to bed, I found Grace curled up practically in the fetal position, while Emerson was sprawled out with complete abandon. I had to show John, because it was exactly how we sleep. Emerson like John, and Grace like me. Is this inherited, or innate?

John and I both have pretty similar personalities, and he actually looks more like he belongs in my family than I do. (My family has Japanese and Native American blood, which manifests itself almost as Hispanic looking in most of my siblings). He is half Mexican, but his dad is pretty fair. For this reason, I was pretty confident that I would have lots of dark haired, quiet little babies. Obviously I should never have expected anything, since life is never how you assume it will be. So far we have quite a variety of hair, skin, and eye tones. I remain interested as to what colors our next baby will have. Many moons away, I assure you.

Back to Nature vs. Nurture, though. (We'll call it N v.N for short) So last week I took some pictures of the kids so I would have some images to fool around with on CS4. What I found when I downloaded some of those , exemplified the consensus that there is no N v.N. It's both. How else could you explain the difference between Grace and Emerson, who both come from the same parents, have been treated relatively the same way, and have such tremendously different personalities? I think the pictures say so much, I'll just shut up and post 'em.









Oh, and since Porter's little personality isn't so easily picked up by a camera, we'll just throw this one in there, just 'cus it's cute. We tried to get him to wave "bye-bye" for the picture, and he thought that meant daddy was leaving. The subsequent shot was of his reaction.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those are great pictures, where did you take them? It is fun and sometimes exhausting watching and dealing with all the new traits that come out of our kids, but fun as well! It's only been like a week and half since I last saw you but Grace must've been swimming a lot she looks so dark!
Brenden+Nikki said…
Hey! Your guys' bathroom looks awesome. Of course I wouldn't expect anything less than my Pottery Barn Annie :). It looks so awesome! Seriously you guys did a great job! And cute pics of the kids - Brenden can't believe how much they have grown.
Allison said…
*Sigh* I love those kids. You do such a great job at capturing them in their true character. :) I especially love the first picture of Grace and Emerson, and the last one of Porter. It's too cute!
Jen Olson Brown said…
This was a great post. The whole thing would be a lot easier if we could REMEMBER what we were like as spirits before coming to earth. Then we could pinpoint what was there to begin with and what was altered or added by parenting. You insight many great topics. Great job.
Hi Annie, Sue Sparks here...I signed in through Sarah's account because I'm not sure my email went through(in response to your "comment" on my blog) and I want to make sure I can still view your blog:) You have such a great way with words and a camera!
My email: suesue121255@hotmail.com